Monday, August 19, 2013

Nerf Mission App: Actually Cool?

Looks like Nerf may have actually done this one right!  Thanks to a tip from one of my buddies on Facebook, I actually took the time to take a closer look at what's behind the new Nerf Mission App.  There's a great article over at TacticalFanboy, where my interest in this started.  The app includes a heads up display, compass, inclinometer, and rangefinder. The app allows players to record photos and videos, track their Nerf arsenal, learn about hand signals used to communicate with a squad, and plan out different missions for multiplayer Nerf battles.  Seem too cool for Nerf to make?

That's because they didn't!  Read more after the Jump!

Much like how Hasbro outsourced it's Lazer Tag development to Shoot The Moon, they've enlisted the help of Theodolite, part of Hunter Research & Technology that have become well-known for their Theodolite Augmented Reality Navigation app which defined a new standard for augmented reality navigation when it debuted in 2009.  It's been a #1 seller in iTunes stores around the world for use with outdoor sports, hiking, boating, hunting, golf, sightseeing, photography, home projects, and navigation all around the world.


Right now, my iPod is on the fritz with trying to connect to a wireless network, but from what I've been reading, I really need to check both the Nerf Mission App and Theodolite for myself.  I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting to consider exploring this new product for Nerf at all, but after reading up on Theodolite, I'm impressed so far!

7 comments:

  1. I just noticed something strange: the packaging shows the cradle mounted on a rapid strike with a WHITE stripe. Wonder why they switched it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are on the same wavelength. I JUST noticed that after posting this and mentioned that on the Facebook group. High-five!

      Delete
    2. They didn't switch the paint. Zook, they obviously snook into your house took your painted rapid strike, took the pictures, and put it back good as new.

      Delete
  2. I tried the app on my iPhone 3GS, and it seems to be a very good HUD. I cannot seem to find a way to take pictures or video. There was a setup screen that showed for a few minutes before the app completely started but I cannot return to that screen because there is no menu or settings option available in the app. I hope they put out an Android version soon.
    Have you tried BattleTac Lite? It looks like a good map based system for team coordination but it lacks a sight in HUD mode. A mix of that and the Nerf Mission App would be excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to tilt the device down to toggle the menu and access the camera. The annoying thing about the Nerf app is lack of a reticule or ability to change the HUD much, you can remove the displays elements but not change them. I hope future versions have more features because most of the menus are pretty bare too.

      Delete
  3. Hmm. Hasbro might've injected more coin to make a better app after seeing what Tek Recon's can do... maybe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Hasbro might be hiding something that starts with a "J" and ends with an "N"

    ReplyDelete