Saturday, August 31, 2013

Dart Nommin

Well, my Centurion has been collecting dust ever since it ate 5 of the 6 darts it came with.  Time to dig in and do some work on this blaster... and make it worth using.  Before I give up all hope in my Centurion and gut it for a Laser Tag shell, I figured I'd try my hand at modifying this beast.  If there's one thing I've noticed that has really been an underlying problem with this blaster: the Darts.

I later found out that, upon a close inspection of my blaster, that the breech had been damaged.  How, I'm not sure... as my Centurion was frequently jamming with it's long 1 Foot Pull to prime the darned thing.  It somehow damaged itself and, as a result, started chomping up my Mega darts.  If you look at the photo to the right, you can see where the breech was essentially growing teeth that would, quite literally, EAT my darts.

So obviously, THAT'S my first fix right there.  Breech work is certainly a must on perfecting any Clip-Fed Dart Blaster that Nerf has made.  However, these darts could use better balance, too.  My first attempt at modding this will be moreso focused on improving the darts with more weight in the tips.  I'm not usually a fan of modified darts, as they easily get mixed up in games... but since the Centurion is using specialized darts to begin with, it's not a major problem for me.  This Labor Day weekend, I look to dig in to the Centurion and see what kind of easy mods I can manage to improve this thing.  If all else fails, there's a brand new lens from LazerBait that would work quite well in this behemoth!

6 comments:

  1. why dont you try www.dartblaster.de, they have made a kit for the centurion so you can use elite mags and darts.
    it seems to work well greetz from the netherlands europe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already did the basic stuff to mine like pulling out the AR, plugging the air release slits, and making the barrel removable. I don't know whats up with my Centurion though, it seems to feed perfectly and I've pumped a ton of shots through mine and my darts still look like they came out of the box. Weird...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this! What's within my own powers is pretty limited...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done some extensive testing on a controlled and open area and the ideal weight seemed to be with four .2g bbs floating in the head. Weight has a substantial effect on range, mostly negative. Also removing the air restricter and plugging the slits on the side do absolutely nothing for range. All this was recovered with a side by side comparison with an unmodded and modded centuron with a plethora of different dart weight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zook, do you know if nerf is doing a 9-9-13 special release?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same thing happened to me. Returned it for a rampage and a stryfe.

    ReplyDelete