Monday, May 28, 2012

Soak 'em Up!

My loadout for Water Wars
So this Memorial Day weekend has been excellent weather for something that'll cool you down.  Nerf's Super Soaker lineup has been fun to mess around with in the backyard with friends around the pool.  I know there's lots of "hate" out there for the new Super Soaker stuff when compared to the high powered CPS blasters of the 90's, but if there's one thing that I've really taken a liking to: it's this water clip system.  The only downside is that there's only two (technically three) blasters in the Super Soaker Line that use clips.  To make matters worse, only one of them is really worth using in a water war... or at least that's what I've found in the backyard games I've had.

Full Auto doesn't make up for it's weak power if you ask me
The Tornado Strike, pictured above, is arguably one of the coolest looking blasters since Nerf took the Super Soaker lineup in 2010.  Hands down, it just performs better than the Thunderstorm/Lightningstorm clip-fed water blasters and, while it is a manual front-pump firing blaster, the spinning streams of water give this blaster a nice spread to work with too.  Interestingly enough, my favorite blasters that have come out of the new Super Soaker blasters under the Nerf brand have been triggerless.  With the exception of the Hydro Cannon, I tend to prefer the Tornado Strike, Shot Blast, and Scatter Blast over any other current soaker.  At first, of those three I preferred the Scatter Blast because of it's spread and capacity (it actually has the highest internal storage with the exception of the Hydro Cannon).  Then I was a fan of the Shot Blast because of it's general power and comfort.  This Tornado Strike is really growing on me though because of this clip system.  The Drum magazine on it with two spare clips make for a nice complete loadout.  It's been fun to use and combines that spread of the Scatter Blast that I liked with the rifle feel of the Shot Blast.

If you haven't given the new Super Soaker lineup a shot, they are a lot of fun to use.  If you forget about the legendary power of the 90's era Super Soakers and just ignore all the trolls online who hate on this new spin on these water blasters, you'll enjoy them even more.  I'll probably never get into Super Soakers as much as I have Nerf and Laser Tag, but it is fun to be shooting stuff around to keep cool during the summer just for some shameless fun.

9 comments:

  1. Get the nerf super soaker bolt and burst and review them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume by "burst" you mean the "Microburst", but what's the "bolt"?

      Delete
    2. The bolt and burst are those super soaker grenade things.

      Delete
  2. i love this new series the design and look of these blasters is my favourite of all the nerf blasters "tough" would be my description.
    and the good old tornado strike, is best for dry people 3 pumps and they are drenched but there's nothing like the recoil of the hydro canon and see a bucket of water flying through the air to land all over some poor bugger anyway it's nearly winter here in australia so there's not much water flyin down here at the moment but here's cheer's to all of you who are about to become wet\m/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually prefer guns like the one you put ice in it! and the ones that had triggers. its not that they were strong, they just were more of a challenge like that green one that was able to shoot in different directions! it was really just the twists it made. but from this lineup, i perfer the bottle blitz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up having fairly frequent water wars featuring the awesome CPS blasters so I know how awesome they are (still have a few). Nevertheless I still like the new SS line for the aesthetics and the sheer simple fun factor. Nerf knows its target market--These things appeal to the iPod generation. While they may not be like a high quality sound system, If you like the song, portability and accessibility is all that matters sometimes. That and looking cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey i know this is off topic but did you catch the new episode of RvB? also, will you be going to rtx?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did catch it (I'm a Sponsor, actually) and no, I won't be able to make it out to RTX. If I do any traveling for stuff like that, I'll go to TagFest NorthWest before I invest in a trip to RTX. Got my priorities.

      Delete
  6. "If you forget about the legendary power of the 90's era Super Soakers..."

    Thank you for proving our point for us. Troll on.

    ReplyDelete