Saturday, December 28, 2013

Crossfire Bow Internals

So I took a peek inside my Crossfire Bow to see what all the hoopla was about.  Turns out there isn't much to this blaster.  Just a simple trigger, single plunger tube (looks to be about the size of a Firestrike), and this mess of orange that has all those lovely dart sensors built in that allow for the sequential firing.

Although it's use of Air Restrictors is identical to that of the Triad and RoughCut 2x4, there isn't any gear-driven priming like the RoughCut had... so doing a spring mod in this won't eat up the teeth in that gear system.  It's the only way to get more power out of this blaster.

I also took apart the blaster's shell, which separates into 3 colors for 6 pieces total (3 on each side).  There are small plastic clips on the inside of the blaster that can be released to detach these pieces from eachother.  This should make for some EASY repainting!

To release the clips, the blaster has to be in two separate halves.  Use a flathead screwdriver to push the clip through.  Don't force them, or else you'll risk damaging the shell.  Just use a little patience and start detaching the clips from one end and move to the other.  The Orange front portion comes out easy, but for the back shell, I suggest starting from the middle and then work your way towards the Nerf logo near the back of the blaster.

7 comments:

  1. Having not taken too many blasters apart, I've been wondering about something. The Hammershot and the Crossfire Bow both have multi-part shells, but all the other blasters I've disassembled have the shell in just two halves, with different colours painted on. Is the multishelling a new ZombieStrike only thing, or are Elites doing it now too? (I wouldn't count the orange front end of the Roughcut, because that's required for the sequential firign.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multi-shelling is new, but not ZombieStrike-Specific. The Firestrike, for example, has the same kind of design to it, even on a small blaster. The newer Dart Tag blasters (yellow shells) have this kind of frame that the yellow pieces fit onto that's also much like a Multi-shell design.

      Delete
  2. Awesome job Mike, thanks for the internals shots! I think you're the first to throw these up, salute! :) It's interesting that a) how simple(?) the internals are bar the smart plunger system, and also for painting how easy it is to break it down. What scheme are you thinking? For some reason it hits me to do a desert storm scheme!

    Ash aka MyLastDart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm actually tempted to fool Nerf Nation again and do an Elite color scheme on this one. (The "Elite Longshot" threw a lot of misinformed fans off), but I was thinking of doing something a little more tacti-cool. We'll see how it pans out.

      Delete
  3. Hey there, I have a problem with my Crossfire (I'm guessing mine is a dud though)

    When I first got it out of the box, the first barrel would fire the dart fine, the second one would be good to BUT the third dart would splutter out upon firing the second dart. The third dart would fire "ok" on it's own, but the fourth dart is a bit lacking in power.

    The darts falling out has somehow fixed itself after a couple of hundred darts fired :P but my main problem is how from the first barrel down to the last barrel, each shot loses range and power (the 4th one ends up being about half the range of the first shot)

    I tried plugging the holes with hot glue, but that just made the first and second barrels fire further (I guess they do that to balance out the consistency of the range performance?). I haven't dared try and take apart the barrel and AR assembly, but looks like I can't as it seems glued shut anyway :s

    I have 2x U.S. Rough Cuts and 2x Australian ones, never had a problem with range decrease on any of the barrels :S Does (or did?) your Crossfire bow have this range decrease issue that I have, or does it seem like I got a dud? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly sounds like a dud to me. The unfortunate nature of the RoughCut and Crossfire Bow designs is that there isn't much you can do to fix the mechanism in there.

      Delete
  4. I find that the Crossfire is one of the hardest blasters to find the right uograde spring for. If its too long at all it won't prime. Double springs dont appear to work and when u domfind an okay one it'll fire 2 darts at a time and just sputter the last ones out. Ne1 else finding these difficulties or have any advice?

    ReplyDelete