Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wrapping it all up... in Primary Colors

Stark did some nice work on this, eh?
As I move steps closer to finally completing my costume for Halloween this year, I thought I'd share a few more details I've worked out.  I just got done making better patches on each of the shoulders (and used a neat effect to give it that 1950s Magazine Catalog look on purpose).  I've also been using a Rivet gun to bolster a few parts of the jacket.  There are a few exposed rivet points, mainly on the red straps/buckles on the front.  It's been tricky trying to figure it out, but I like how they turned out.  Another point that'll likely get riveted to the jacket is the utility belt.

Testing the Rivets
Dying the Utility Belt
I purchased an OD Green WW2-era ammo belt and dyed it dark brown.  This is to mimic the look of the belt Captain America has, but his is leather .45 Cal ammo pouches, unlike my cotton-dyed ammo belt.  The belt will be mounted to the bottom of the jacket via 5mm Rivets (larger than the 3mm ones I've been using on the belts and straps).  The buckle will be painted Aluminum to look more like the actual belt buckle.  You can see the two tests I ran on these Rivets in Leather on this extra piece that I had from the brown straps I cut off of the original jacket.

I realized after building the pistol for this that Captain America uses a Colt .45 pistol in the movie, not the 9mm Beretta pistol I picked up for $6.  Still, I moved forward with the project and painted it with silver top and black bottom.  Looks pretty slick.  While I still wish it were a .45, this will work just fine. I'm quite pleased with how quickly something like this came together.

Other bits will be finished tonight.  The costume will make it's debut tomorrow at a party and again on Sunday for Laser Tag.  It's been really fun working on this, but it'll be nice to focus on my blasters again after this is all said and done.  I'll be finishing up Part 3 of that Recasing Tutorial, I promise!


  1. can't wait to see the whole finished project, should look awesome!